It’s officially hurricane season. Tropical Storm Barry recently made landfall on the gulf coast. Being prepared for storms like Barry can help you, your family or your business minimize the impact of the storm. Here are 5 insurance tips for hurricane season.
- Review your insurance policy. You can better understand the coverage you have by thoroughly reading through your policy. If you have any questions or concerns, speak to your agent or call us at (353)-373-7100
- Complete a household inventory. Speed up your claims processing after a storm by documenting the content of your home. Document your inventory by creating a list of your belongings and their estimate value. Creating an inventory can be as simple as writing it down with a pen and paper, or by taking pictures and videos with your smartphone. Be sure to keep more than one copy of your inventory, and place it in a secure location.
- Store your important documents in a safe and dry place. Keep your insurance policies and other documents in waterproof packaging.
- Prepare your property now. Consider your home’s vulnerability to damages caused by wind, storm surge, and flooding. Preventative maintenance is the best way to avoid major repairs if a hurricane or storm were to make landfall.
- Develop an emergency plan well in advance of a storm. Take necessary precautions to protect yourself, your family, and your property by developing an emergency plan. Establish a safe meeting place and develop several escape routes to get there. If you must evacuate, be sure to shut off your electricity and lock up all doors and windows.